Kayak 150 Project
Imagine sitting in a coffee shop with your best friend. He or she turns to you and says: "For only HKD$150, roughly 5 cups of coffee, we can give a girl in China her sight back. She'd be able to see for the rest of her life! No more darkness. Only light and hope, dreams and happiness. Shall we donate $150? It's so little, yet so powerful!"
What would you say?
I'm guessing you might say "yes".
Of course that's the power of friendships - having trust and a deep personal connection, but also being motivated by our desire to help others.
If you're reading this page, chances are I don't know you personally. If I did, I'd buy you a cup of coffee and share the story of the blind girl in China ... just one of millions around the world.
Hi, my name is Mark Western. I love organizing mini adventures for good causes (see below).
When I discovered the Fred Hollows Foundation, I was immediately touched by the incredible work they're doing (giving people their eyesight back), but more importantly, how cheap it is!
You can literally transform somebody's life (forever) for the cost of 5 cups of coffee. How cool is that?
Please donate now.
The "Kayak 150 Project" aims to raise awareness AND funds for the millions of people in the world that are blind ... but blind needlessly.
"150" is the rough cost (HKD$150 / US$20) to restore somebody's eyesight. For further information on the Fred Hollows Foundation and the costs involved in their work, please visit: www.hollows.org/hk/faqs
Or click here: Fred Hollows Hong Kong
The "adventure" behind this project is the first solo circumnavigation of Hong Kong by sea kayak (250km on water; 25km on land, pulling the kayak).
Kick-Off Date: Saturday 4th June, 2016
Paddle Taiwan Project (2004)
- the first solo circumnavigation of Taiwan by sea kayak (1,000 km)
- raised NT$2.1 million (HKD$490,000) for local environmental groups
- 34 days
- Sponsors: Volvo, Sony-Ericsson, Taiwan Cellular, Subway, Thule, Teva, Bomber Gear, Equinox, Enspyre, Hess, Mary Kay
Taiwalk for Kids (1999)
- first international team to walk around Taiwan (1,000 km)
- raised NT$4.1 million (HKD$950,000) for orphans in Taiwan
- 29 days
- over 7,000 people participated in 3 walk-a-thons to support the event
- Sponsors: Nike, Hess, Taipei Times, ETTV, Minute Maid